Saturday, June 11, 2011

Growing up before my eyes


This morning, Michael and Lucy got up for breakfast and let me sleep in a little. When Lucy was done, she came running down the hall, yelling, "Mommy!" and gave me a big hug. Like I always do, I began my dialogue with her, "Hey, Lucy! How are you? Did you have a good breakfast?" And then, she looked at me and said, "Mmm, yummy!" So I asked, "What did you have for breakfast?" And then she answered , "Yo (yogurt), toe (toast). . . " and all of a sudden, I realized that I was having an actual conversation with my child. Not me talking to her while she listened or babbled incoherently, but an actual conversation.

When did this happen? Now she has the ability not only to hear what I say and understand, but to respond as well. She can verbally express how she feels, what she likes and dislikes, tell what she wants.. . .and it seemed to just happen overnight! While it's exciting and so amazing to watch her grow and develop, I can't help but feel a little sad. The past two years have flown by and that tiny little 5 lb 6 oz beautiful creature has become a wild and crazy, happy-go-lucky, independent, smart little girl. Maybe I'm just feeling sentimental since her second birthday is a week from today, but I just marvel at how blessed Michael and I are with this precious girl. While she is far from perfect - believe me, this child can test her limits and push the boundaries with the best of them - she is the perfect addition to our family. Well, that's enough sappiness for now. I'll save the rest of my sentimentality for next week when she turns two - TWO!

No comments:

Post a Comment