Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Youth Choir in Duck (Quack!)

WARNING: This will be a LONG entry. . . it includes days three through six of choir tour. I'll try to keep it brief!!

We started Wednesday morning by sleeping in a little and then singing at the Sunnybrook Healthcare center in Raleigh at 10:30. This was a sweet audience, and we really enjoyed singing for them.





This lady held her baby doll through the performance and after every song would say, "Baby likes this; baby loves this music!"


We visited with them for a while after the program . . .


And then we were on our way to Duck, NC! It was quite a ride, and my van took that time to enjoy a nap!



Finally, we arrived at Duck UMC, unloaded the vans, and had a quick moment to look around.



We ate dinner at Duck Pizza at a shopping center just down the road from the church and then came back to sing at Duck's Wednesday night Contemporary service.



And then they served ICE CREAM afterwards!!


We had a great time that evening, just laughing together . . .


The next day, we headed to Spring Arbor of the Outer Banks to sing. It was a beautiful facility and the residents were so attentive and receptive to our kids. I think out of all the concerts we did, this was by far their best one. :)



We ate lunch at a restaurant called Goombay's - everyone had been begging for some fresh seafood and this place didn't let us down! It was delicious! We then drove to our final concert at Colony Ridge Nursing home and Rehabilitation center. Avery decided to remind me on the way to the nursing home that this would be the last time that we would all be together as a group. So, needless to say, when they began singing their program in the Alzheimer's unit, I started to get a little emotional. Thankfully, they stopped us mid program to have us go and sing for the rest of the residents, so I was able to compose myself. . .


Our kids were extremely excited about meeting the woman in the picture below . . .she was 104 years old!


Finally, it was time to go to the beach! We had beautiful weather the whole time we were there. However, on the beach with the ocean breeze, it was just a little chilly! And that water was COLD! But this wasn't going to stop our kids from enjoying their time!



The girls and Brian buried Ari in the sand. . . .if you look closely at this photo, you can find his face in the pile of sand!


Who knows what interesting chat these two were sharing!




After the beach, we had some free time back in Duck. You never know what will happen when you turn these wild and crazy kids loose. . . .


We had devotions out in the chapel by the sound. . . .I wish I had a good picture of it, but I don't! It was beautiful though! The next morning, we cleaned and loaded up the vans for the long drive back to the mountains.

To my sweet, wonderful, amazing youth choir: What a wonderful week it was. I am so incredibly proud of the people you are becoming. You worked so hard this week in everything you did, and shared the love of Christ through service, singing, and loving everyone you met. I pray that you will continue to let God use you to share his love with others and that for as long as you live, you will "testify to love." Remember 1 Timothy 4:12 - "Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." I look forward to all that you are going to be doing in the future - I'm looking forward to coming back and to hear you sing and hearing about all the ways that you share the love of Christ in the future. You are amazing, I love you, and I will miss you more than I can say.

Well, before I shed more tears, let me finish up with thoughts from this wonderful week. These are the best kids in the world and I am so proud of all the accomplished. I know that the church will be blessed at youth Sunday when these kids share their own experiences because the stories I heard from them have been incredible. Make sure to stop one of them next time you see them and ask about our trip . . . you'll learn a lot. And if these blog entries haven't had enough pictures for you, you can click here: CHOIR TOUR 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment