Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lucy at MRLEC

We took Lucy to MRLEC (Mills River Life Enrichment Center) today. This is a group for seniors that meets every Thursday for a program and a meal. It's done through our church but is an outreach to the entire community. Lucy goes with her Daddy from time to time and occasionally (when I don't have school!) I am invited along as well.

When we got there today, Lucy walked right in and took off towards the kitchen. . .she knew she would find friends in there. She loved on those working in the kitchen for a bit and then we went out to the table. Several of the ladies who went on the PrimeTimer trip to Junaluska enjoyed telling the "Poor Baby" story about Lucy during lunch. (A story for another time - it's a cute one I'll tell later!) Lucy sat at the table with her food and then pulled out a book and one by one, people came by and visited with her. There were several people that we knew from church but also several that I didn't know. As they came by, they talked with her and she showed them pictures of the animals in her book. She laughed and grinned and waved and blew kisses and had a fun time all around. But what touched my heart the most was the joy on the faces of those seniors who visited with her.

As a young mom, it is easy to take for granted the daily smiles, hugs, kisses, and laughter of an 18 month old. The joy that fills my home is overflowing from this beautiful little girl who (most of the time!) is a happy child. I am blessed to wake up every morning to hear the sounds of Lucy babbling to her stuffed pig and bunny blanket. I get to see her enormous grin and giggles as she greets her Daddy when we get home in the afternoon. I get to be the recipient of those sweet, bedtime hugs and watch her sleeping face as she dreams the dreams of an innocent child who doesn't yet know that life is not always easy. But there are those who no longer have those moments. There are those whose children are grown up and moved away, who may not have grandchildren or may not get to see them on a regular basis. There are those who are lonely, especially during this Christmas season.

I guess the point of this rambling blog, is that I am thankful for the joys that Lucy brings to my life and I don't want to take them for granted. But more than that, I am thankful that I am able to share the joy that my child can bring with others. And as Lucy grows, I hope she will begin to understand the impact that a smile, a laugh, a hug - really, just the gift of spending time with someone - can have on a person. I am thankful that those at MRLEC allow her to come and that they welcome her and love on her and I want her to grow up learning how to return that love and joy to others.

So, thanks for letting me share those slightly disjointed thoughts. . . as I have been reflecting on the Advent Season, LOVE and JOY have been topics dear to my heart. Those (as well as PEACE and HOPE) are qualities I want my child to grasp, to take to heart, to fill herself with. . . .Thank you Lord, for the blessing of being Lucy's Mom. Please make me worthy of helping her grow to understand that You came down to earth to bring us these gifts and that we must show these gifts to others. Amen.

(By the way, these pictures are scanned from photos taken at MRLEC so they may not be the best quality!)



No comments:

Post a Comment